Friday 29 May 2015

Reflow oven revisted



Currently I am trying to finish off a load of projects that have been hanging around
my lab for sometime. First off was the re-flow oven project I bought the parts for
last year. It uses an Arduino Mega 2560 and a touch screen display. The oven is a
'toaster oven' bought on eBay for around 20 pounds. The heating element is controlled
using a Solid State Relay (SSR).

In the top image you can see the solder profile in white and the profile achieved by
the oven in yellow. As you can see it does not cool down fast enough on its own so
once it has achieved maximum heat and is starting to cool it is a good idea to open the
front door.

Another issue with these ovens it getting an even heat across the PCB being cooked.
This is an issue that most people have and I intend to replace the tray in my oven with
a solid piece of thick aluminium. Also where to place the heat sensor is another
issue. Plenty of things to experiment with.

For anyone that wants to make their own, you don't need to go to the expense of using a
touch display like I did. There are plenty of people selling kits both on eBay and on their
own project pages.

The next project to finish off is a small Global Positioning System Disciplined Oscillator
(GPSDO) for my Yig based 10 Ghz DATV transceiver. I bought a cheap CPLD board
for that. To follow ...

No comments:

Post a Comment