Wednesday 17 November 2010

New toy update plus book recommendation.

The Terasic board is now up and working.
I had a bit of a glitch, I initially fitted the board
incorrectly into its socket. Everything was offset
by 1 pin. Thankfully I didn't break anything but
it is a warning to anyone that buys one of these
boards be careful.

One other issue I noticed was that they (ADC/DAC)
are not DC coupled so the output of my testcard
generator code looks very strange. That is not
important as I am going to use a Analog Devices
Video DAC chip (ADV7123) eventually anyway.
I already have a couple of sample chips from
Analog Devices. I just need to layout the board now.
The 7123 has 3 x 10 bit DACs and a sync and blanking
input.

Today I received a used copy of "Digital Signal
Processing with Field Programmable Gate Arrays"
3rd edition written by U. Meyer-Baese, published
by Springer ISBN 978-3-540-72612-8 (774 pages).
Although I have only had a chance to glance at a few
pages of the book it looks like a book I can recommend

to others. It covers all the basic DSP and number theory
and has example code in both VHDL and Verilog.
The 3rd edition is reasonably up to date and covers the
latest developments in the use of FPGAs for high speed
DSP applications. It is also an accessible book (G4GUO
speak for even I can understand it).

No comments:

Post a Comment